FUHSD Adult SchoolSunnyvale - Cupertino

Skip to main content
Mobile Menu

FAQs: High School Diploma/GED

 Do I have to Pre-Register?

Yes. Orientation classes, placement tests, and counseling appointments take place at the beginning of August for 1st quarter enrollment and before the start of each subsequent quarter.    Please check the Home Page or call (408) 522-2700 for specific dates.

It is necessary to Pre-Register either by phone at 408.522.2700 or in person at the Adult School Vallco Campus at 10123 N. Wolfe Rd., Ste. 2085 (next to Benihana), Cupertino, CA, 95014.

How long will it take me to finish?

In order to make the best progress toward your goals, we will help you create an individualized learning plan with a target of finishing required course work or preparation in less than two years.  Our experience shows that you can meet your goal by attending every class session so that you can get help and direction when you need it.  Our program includes direct instruction in both individual and group settings, as well as academic support for independent study and distance learning.

When can I start?

Students may enroll on a space available basis at the beginning of each quarter.  Please refer to the Adult School's Home Page for calendar information.

Will you provide me with books?

In the majority of high school diploma and GED classes, books and other materials are provided.  Textbooks are checked out to each individual student, and the student is responsible for maintaining and returning texts when they have completed a class.  Also, you can find GED study guides online, at the library, or at most major book retailers.

What do I need to know about the new GED?

The new GED is aligned to the Common Core State Standards and is computer based.  Students need to demonstrate and be comfortable with basic computer competencies including:  drop down menu, highlight, drag and drop, fill-in-the-blank, hot spot, and word processing.  Students will need to show proficiency in critical reading skills, analytical writing skills, data and graphic skills, and high school level algebra and geometry.  Check out the official website of https://ged.com/  to establish your personal account, explore the test format and types of questions, and take an official practice test to determine how ready you are to begin testing.  Please be sure to select Fremont Union High School District Adult School as your test preparation center and give permission for us to check on your progress.

Do I need my high school transcript or college transcript?
Yes!  In order to make the most appropriate decisions at your counseling appointment, you should bring any and all transcripts that you think would apply in assessing your credit status.  Please obtain an official transcript from the last high school you attended.  In addition, if you have earned credit at any college, it is useful to obtain your official college transcripts.  College credits count double at FUHSD Adult School.

What is best for me: a High School Diploma or the GED?

After you complete a placement test and orientation class, you will schedule a counseling appointment with a member of the Transition Team.  At this appointment you will:  (1) create an individual plan to complete your secondary education and transition to college or career; (2) review what options are most appropriate; (3) decide whether to pursue a high school diploma or a GED; and (4) create a class schedule.  You will need official transcripts for your counseling appointment.